HomeHome Product Discus... Product Discus...SmithCartSmithCartDescription textbox not being shownDescription textbox not being shown
Previous

Next
New Post
11/23/2010 1:01 AM

Adding products I note that the ability to add a description is not available. I am using v3.88. Even after importing products via xls file with description included, subsequent management of products does not have the description textbox available (not viewable let alone editable). Have I missed something during product setup?

New Post
11/23/2010 2:59 AM

Open up addproducts.ascx and at the top in the style section add the following if you dont already have it there:

.ajax__tab_default .ajax__tab_tab {
display:inline !important;
}

Click your browser refresh button and the tab control with the product decriptions should shot up.

At your service,
Dave Smith
DotNetNuke Consulting, DotNetNuke Store and DNN Ecommerce

New Post
11/23/2010 10:10 PM

I added the suggested style code to addproducts.ascx then refreshed site - but with no changes to the Add Product page (not showing the Description textarea at all. I have emptied browser cache and checked again. I am using Firefox as a default browser. Checking IE, but with same result.

I also note that there is no Description textarea available when editing existing products that have been imported with Description fields. There MUST be a setting I have not found to display this textarea!!!

I note I can now see any of the imported description data when checking the Product Detail pages, however, I can't edit existing descriptions because the textarea is not shown in the edit screen.

New Post
11/23/2010 10:18 PM

Any errors in your dnn event viewer? If you try adding a new product using the add product screen can you view the product description tab control/rich text editor?

At your service,
Dave Smith

New Post
11/26/2010 5:41 PM

I'm experiencing the same issue, no description rich text box available in the add product or edit product pages. The ajax style code above did not fix it. Does this have something to do with which rich text editor we are using original/telerik? I'm using the old rich text editor. I'm not getting anything in my event viewer that I can see. Smith 3.93 and DNN 5.6.

New Post
11/27/2010 12:18 AM

We havnt tested the cart on dnn 5.6 since it was just released last week so I recommend dnn 5.5.1. Did you change the rich text editor that comes with the default dnn 5.6 install or did you change it. This also may be a resource issue what type of hosting and server are you running on?

At your service,
Dave Smith

New Post
11/27/2010 6:11 PM

Hi,

I doubt it has anything to do with DNN 5.6 as I had the issue before upgrading. I switched default editors (to the new default editor) to see if this was the issue, but it responds the same regardless of which one I use. I have noticed that at one point in the last few days, I did see the rich text box. I also noticed that if the rich text box appears during editing, the tabs box appears on the product display. When the rich text box isn't showing in the editor, the tabs box (holding the description) also does not show.

I'm using shared hosting at ihostasp.

New Post
11/28/2010 3:55 AM

In editing, if the Rich textbox does not appear, I have been refreshing the page and it comes up 95 % of the time, the other 5% has required a second refresh. It takes a little longer but it gets done. I have just added 550 products so almost 500 refreshes later I am happy with it.

Probably would have taken a few hours less without having to refresh.

New Post
11/28/2010 11:43 AM

You're right. The issue comes and goes with page refreshing. I can enter product descriptions by constantly refreshing, but that won't help the end user as they won't see the description field without refreshing, which isn't likely to happen.

Does knowing that it comes and goes with refreshing help to determine the cause of the problem?

Thanks

New Post
11/28/2010 12:37 PM

This is a difficult item to troubleshoot since it doesnt happen on any of our dnn portals but we are running dedicated server. On the add products page the product descriptions are displayed in an ajax tab cotrol with 5 rich text editors one for each tab. I think this may be a performce issue, not enough memory/resources to display the rich text editors on your dnn portal.

Can you find out from your hosting provider the following info:

• What type of server are you runing on
  • How much memory is allocated to your dnn site.
  • How many other sites are running on the same shared server or virtual as your site

I would try doing some performance and tuning on our dnn portal. Here are a couple good posts on dnn performance and tuning:

http://www.mitchelsellers.com/blogs/a...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21...

If this doesnt work try inquiring with your host about moving your site to another shared server that is not so leaded down. Alot of shared hosting providers will have hundreds of sites sharing fixed resources on a server not allowing your site enough cpu/ram to run.

At your service,
Dave Smith

New Post
11/28/2010 12:49 PM

I will look into these issues with my server provider, however I have been using Smiths for quite a while and this problem only began an update or so ago...perhaps two updates ago. It has only become a problem since I'm now wanting to use descriptions. Also, in my case anyway, the problem is too consistant to be a bogged down server. The first time the page loads, no description shows...the second time (one refresh), it always shows.

New Post
11/28/2010 1:30 PM

My point on server resources was that I think your shared host could have too many sites on the same virtual as your site causing this to happen all the time not when demand is high. The ajax tab with rich text editor has been in the cart or over 6 months but we have added a couple new fields to the product screen like the price class dropdown which could have put the resources over the top for resource allocated in your shared host environment. Also I wouldnt rull out a skin/css conflict you may be able to tweek your skin/css to get it to display all the time.

At your service,
Dave Smith

New Post
12/7/2010 5:51 PM

This issue began for me.. immediately after upgrading to the newest version. Dedicated servers are quite expensive. I would hope to see a solution to have the cart on shared hosting environments. It's true though, after refreshing a couple of times things seem to work.

New Post
12/7/2010 8:50 PM

Poking around in firebug I found that the tab control was rendering with visibility: hidden; sometimes possibly because of the having the rich text editor as a control inside the ajax tab control. I think I found the solution add the following to the top of the addproducts.ascx page just below the other script block:

<script type="text/javascript">
document.getElementById("TabContainer1_TabPanel1").style.display = "block";

controlLoadCompleteEvent = function() {
document.getElementById("TabContainer1_TabPanel1").style.display = "none";
};
</script>

At your service,
Dave Smith

New Post
12/8/2010 12:45 AM

I tested this on different test portals and did some cross broswer testing, while some of the tweaks in this thread helped the bottom line is the text editor does not load everytime which isnt acceptable. After googling for awhile I have come to the conclusion that the dnn editor and Ajax do not play well together and have changed the ajax tab control in the add product screen to a css jquery tab control which loads 100% of the time and seems to load faster also. Hotfix for the add products page is available on the cart downloads page.

At your service,
Dave Smith

Previous

Next
HomeHome Product Discus... Product Discus...SmithCartSmithCartDescription textbox not being shownDescription textbox not being shown